[openib-general] RFC: detecting duplicate MAD requests

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Wed Jun 14 10:11:40 PDT 2006

Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> Is that per-agent, or global? If per-agent, can this hurt user that writes
> scripts using management utilities? These will typically send or receive
> something and exit. No?

This is per agent.  The proposal would only affect applications that generate
the responses.  (Think of it as enforcing that all response MADs match with a
received request, so a user can't generate a response for a request that they
never received.)  An agent that sends a request, and receives the response is
unaffected.

> Is the table of methods maintained per agent then?

That would be my plan; although, we could probably make it global.

>>The other problem is that DS RMPP requires maintaining state between receiving
>>a request and the generation of a response.
>
> It does? Why does it?

It needs to track receiving an ACK of the final ACK to the request, which
carries the initial window size for the response.  Conceptually, what happens is:

-- request -->
  <-- ACK request --
-- ACK (response window) -->
<-- response --