[openib-general] design for communication established affiliated asynchronous event handling

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Wed Jun 28 16:24:05 PDT 2006

Roland Dreier wrote:
>>I suggest the following design: the CMA would replace the event handler
>>provided with the qp_init_attr struct with a callback of its own and
>>keep the original handler/context on a private structure.
>

> This is probably fine.  There is one further situation where the
> connection needs to be established, beyond RTU and the communication
> established async event.  Namely, if a receive completion is polled.
> Since async events are, well, asynchronous, there's no guarantee that
> the communication established event will be reported any time soon...

This brings up a good point.  Even if a user gets a communication established
event, the IB CM could have already timed out and failed the connection.  I
don't think that we can do anything about this.

I should also point out that the proposed design will not work for userspace.
I'm hesitant to make this change until a solution for userspace can also be
found, in the hope that a common fix can be shared.