[openib-general] Dusting off OpenIB Bugzilla

Fabian Tillier ftillier at silverstorm.com
Wed Mar 1 10:15:41 PST 2006

On 3/1/06, Bryan O'Sullivan <bos at pathscale.com> wrote:
> I am reviving http://www.openib.org/bugzilla this morning, as part of
> getting ready for 1.0rc1.
>
> If you're unfamiliar with Bugzilla, its view of the world has two parts:
> products and components.  A product can have multiple components.
>
> Right now, there's only one product defined in OpenIB's Bugzilla,
> "OpenIB".  It has a few components defined, such as SDP, mthca driver
> support, and so on.
>
> A parenthetical note:
>
>        It might make more logical sense to get rid of the OpenIB
>        product and move the current components up to product status.
>        This would let us have a Mellanox product that had driver and
>        userspace components, for example.
>
>        However, I'm not sure this is worth the effort, so I propose to
>        just leave the layout as it is for now, and we can reorganise
>        the bug database if it ends up getting heavy use.

I disagree with moving components to products.  The current "OpenIB"
product should really be "OpenIB Linux".  There should be another
product "OpenIB Windows", and eventually maybe yet another for "Xen"
if it makes sense.

The components of the Linux and Windows projects will be different,
and having the products avoids having bugs for both Linux and Windows
filed under the single IPoIB product, especially when the maintainer
of those components is different between Linux and Windows.

Just my $.02

- Fab