[openib-general] LID assignment policy of opensm

Devesh Sharma devesh28 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 20:31:59 PST 2006

On 02 Mar 2006 08:35:04 -0500, Hal Rosenstock <halr at voltaire.com> wrote:

> Hi Devesh,
>
> On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 08:03, Devesh Sharma wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > I have another query regarding Opensm,
> > What is MLID assignment policy?
> > Is there any porvision that MLID assigned by Opensm may always remain
> > in 0xC001 0xC0FF range, In case by underliying hardware only 255
> > seprate multicast groups are supported at a time?
>
> OpenSM does not overlay multiple groups (MGIDs) with the same
> characteristics on the same MLID. It uses unique MLIDs per group.

This is fine, each group will have unique MLID though  they have same
characteristics, I am trying to know is,
as in unicast LID assignment there is a file maintained by SM, so for MLID
is there any such mapping file or this is maintained in some internal
structure, or every create request with new MGID will be given One higher
MLID from MLID assigned to previous create request and as the
switchInfo::MulticastFDBCap is reached, create request will fail?

MLIDs start at 0xC000 and are constrained by the least capable switch
> (in terms of SwitchInfo::MulticastFDBCap).
>
> Are you just asking or are you having some issue in this area ?

I am just asking about this.