[openib-general] RE: RFC clean up gen2/branches/1.0/src/

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at pathscale.com
Fri Mar 3 07:50:40 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 09:47 -0800, Sean Hefty wrote:
> >Since kernel level components are released through normal kernel.org mainstream
> >process, this directory linux-kernel/ should be removed to avoid he chance of
> >confusion.
>
> I think that there's disagreement on releasing kernel components between the
> maintainers and the release managers.

We've been struggling with this a bit.

Basically, I am reluctant to completely drop things like SDP support and
drivers that are not in upstream kernels.  In every one of these cases,
I'd prefer to make the sources available with the caveat that they are
"technology previews" where binary compatibility with future releases is
not assured.

That way, people can try out SDP, for example, without Michael having to
worry about that socket family issue.  In the release notes, we can make
clear which components are "core" stable features, and which are in
preview form for people to kick the tires on.

The proviso here is that I'm just not going to have time to build binary
kernel RPMs, so any kernel bits that I do package will have to build
cleanly as modules against unpatched kernels.  I know SDP does; I don't
know about iSER.

	<b