[openib-general] osm unreliable unless -d1

Jean-Christophe Hugly jice at pantasys.com
Fri Mar 3 18:28:28 PST 2006

Hi Guys,

I have been having trouble with gen2's osm for a while. I finally
isolated the faulty behaviour to one easy test case:

run osm somewhere.

then one whatever workstation has an HCA connected to the same subnet,
do this:

i=1
while true; do
	modprobe -r ib_mthca
	sleep 3
	modprobe ib_mthca
	ibstat
	echo $i
	sleep 3
	i=`expr $i + 1`
done

For me, after i reaches 7 or 8, the port no-longer gets initialized and
ibstat reports:

               State: Initializing
               Physical state: LinkUp

On the other hand if you run osm with -d1 option (mostly
single-threaded), then it seems to work indefinitely.

I did this with osm r5594, compiled and running on suse10 (dual xeon)
with openib of the same rev. The "client side" is the same os and rev;
cpus are 4 opterons.

I have not started to look for faulty mutexes, yet. Where the fixes
recently proposed in that area committed as of 5594 ?

--
Jean-Christophe Hugly <jice at pantasys.com>
PANTA