[openib-general] Binary package versioning

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at pathscale.com
Mon Mar 6 11:22:13 PST 2006

At the moment, there's a mishmash of different version numbering schemes
used in the various OpenIB packages.

I don't intend to change this in the 1.0 branch, except for a few that
look problematic.  The main offenders are packages with automake version
strings that say "1.0-rc1".  This is not a legal RPM version name, and
rpmbuild blows up on it.

I intend to simply drop the "-rc1" suffix.

A consequence of not touching the version numbers of packages is that
there will be a mixture of different RPM versions installed for
different packages, which may potentially confuse users, making it hard
to tell which release candidate is installed, or whether packages from
one RC are mixed with those from another.

I'd *prefer* to uniformly version every RC1 package as 0.9.1, RC2 as
0.9.2, and so on.  This is most compatible with different versions of
RPM, but it will roll some package version numbers backwards, which will
mess with the few people who may be building RPMs themselves.

Unless people prefer this renumbering approach, I'm going to live with
the current scheme, messy as it is.

	<b