[openib-general] Re: IPOIB_NUM_WC question

Sean Hefty sean.hefty at intel.com
Tue Mar 7 10:22:58 PST 2006

>How could this be per-application?  IPoIB has no idea what completions
>it will poll when it gets a CQ event.

Since the application controls posting to the QP, polling events from the CQ,
and completion processing, I don't see a low-level having insight into what the
application is doing, or what value works best based on the application's
completion model, especially if completions are processed in multiple threads.

There's also an issue of who owns the completion buffers.  Currently, the app is
responsible for the allocation of these buffers.  I guess I'd need to see an
example of how an app would use a driver provided value with respect to buffer
allocation.