[openib-general] Are verb intended to be thread safe?

Roland Dreier roland.list at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 22:13:40 PST 2006

> Was the intent that the openIB verbs be "thread safe" or was the intend
> that if thread safety was required it be implemented in the layers above
> the
> verbs.  If there was a discussion on verb thread safety can somebody please
> point me to it?  Since the verbs are a pretty low level access to IB
> I would think you would leave thread safety to the layer above but it don't
> know what to assume.

Yes, the verbs interface, both in the kernel and in userspace via libibverbs,
is completely thread safe.  I don't believe there is an efficient way to provide
thread safety in any higher layer, and in any case I don't believe that
trusting verbs consumers to provide their own locking will lead to stable
applications.

 - R.