[openib-general] Re: port_num

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Wed Mar 15 15:35:56 PST 2006

Quoting r. Sean Hefty <mshefty at ichips.intel.com>:
> Subject: Re: port_num
>
> Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> >Well, but if an application manages port spaces by itself it won't be
> >portable
> >either. And it seems like a waste to manage ports - some global and some
> >per-device, all for the wildcard port special-case when cma could do it.
>
> I think the CMA needs to manage its port spaces.  I'm just not sure yet how
> to do this in a way that works for iWarp yet.  And it hasn't been a high
> enough priority for me to go back and create a patch for it.  It sounds
> like I need to revisit this soon though...

I think some protocols have their own rules.
I expect iwarp with TCP protocol space will want to hook in
inet_csk_get_port(&tcp_hashinfo, sk, snum) or something along these lines.

So it might be a good idea to build an implementation for SDP on top of IB first
(hint hint) and then try to generalize.

--
Michael S. Tsirkin
Staff Engineer, Mellanox Technologies