[openib-general] Re: port_num

Caitlin Bestler caitlinb at broadcom.com
Wed Mar 15 16:48:34 PST 2006

Sean Hefty wrote:
> Caitlin Bestler wrote:
>> How about something along the lines of stating that the transport
>> specific CM is responsible for translating 0 to a number that does
>> not conflict with the host stack, and then leave the details to be
>> implemented as required.
>
> That doesn't quite work.  If there are multiple transports,
> you want the same translation.
>
> - Sean

I can see how an offload device can share an IP address
with the host stack and hence need to prevent conflicting
uses of the TCP port. But how do *two* offload devices
share the same IP address with each other and/or with the
host stack?

And if "0" means "don't care - pick something", why is there
a need for it to be consistent/predictable?