[openib-general] Re: port_num

Tom Tucker tom at opengridcomputing.com
Wed Mar 15 17:27:03 PST 2006

BTW, I don't have any conclusion to all this, but I have a use case we
should be aware of....

The TCP port space is divided into 'trusted' and 'untrusted' ranges.
Some applications (NFS) look at the source port on an incoming connect
request and check if it is in the 'trusted' range. If it is not, the
connection is denied. So basically, ULP are going to want to be able to
reserve and specify port numbers...and this policy needs to be
coordinated...