[openib-general] Re: mthca FMR correctness (and memory windows)

Caitlin Bestler caitlinb at broadcom.com
Tue Mar 21 07:02:41 PST 2006

openib-general-bounces at openib.org wrote:
> At 03:41 AM 3/21/2006, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
>> Which applications do register/unregister for each I/O?
>
> Storage!
>
>> Do you have a specific benchmark in mind?
>
> Storage!
>
> :-)
>
> Tom.

Any application where the ultimate consumer is not aware
of the need to register memory would benefit from cheap
fast memory registration.

Storage also benefits in that the client is typically
privileged and there is an additional need to register
memory that is not already a slice of an existing virtual
memory map.