[openib-general] Re: [iproute2] IPoIB link layer address bug

Jason Gunthorpe jgunthorpe at obsidianresearch.com
Tue Mar 21 17:30:46 PST 2006

On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 03:56:17PM -0800, Stephen Hemminger wrote:

> Okay, but there are number of other places in iproute2 that call ll_addr_a2n()
> with ifr.ifr_hwaddr.sa_data. And that is 14 bytes.  If you want to fix those
> it will be harder since it would increase the sizeof(struct sockaddr) and potentially
> break compatibility.

Maybe the best thing is to upgrade ip (and or netlink?) to use netlink
messages instead of ioctls for the remaining problematic operations.
Since netlink already supports an arbitary length hwaddr there should
be no compatability problem.

Just browsing I see usages of SIOCSIFHWBROADCAST, SIOCSIFHWADDR,
SIOCADDMULTI, SIOCDELMULTI and SIOCGIFHWADDR that use a struct ifreq..

I know SIOCGIFHWADDR can be done over netlink, but I'm not too
familiar with the others..

Jason