[openib-general] Re: OpenIB documentation

Christopher C. Aycock christopher.aycock at chch.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 22 09:36:21 PST 2006

That's exactly what I've been doing: comparing the verbs.h comments
to Chapters 10 and 11. But I'm at an impasse for a few things.

For example, is there any way to have IBverbs invoke a callback
function when an item arrives on the completion queue? The IBA spec
mentions a "Completion Event Handler"; is this what I'm looking for?
If so, how do I use it in IBverbs?

One function I'm kind of confused with is ibv_req_notify_cq(). Is the
second parameter simply a true / false value? This isn't very obvious
since the rc_pingpong.c example file passes a 0 value when it
requests CQ notification.

Another confusing one is ibv_get_cq_event(). Am I correct in assuming
that this is a blocking function? That's the impression I get from
the example codes and from the fact that struct ibv_comp_channel
appears to merely consist of a file descriptor. My impression is that
it "wakes up" when an element appears on the CQ, but that it requires
the use of ibv_poll_cq() to actually obtain that element. Is this
correct?

Thanks for any pointers you guys can give me.

- Chris Aycock