[openib-general] Re: IBM utilizing and testing openIB release 1 RCx

Shirley Ma xma at us.ibm.com
Mon Mar 27 11:57:49 PST 2006

Roland,

>How big of a send queue do you need/want?  I'm having a hard time
>understanding why a big txqueuelen doesn't give you the same effect.

On the sending path we have three queues, they are:
1. txqueuelen refers to  the maximum size of the device's transmit queue
2. TX_RING_SIZE (which equals to QP sendq queue size in IPoIB now)
3. IPoIB QP sendq queue size refers to maximum size of send work queue
elements to be posted on the device.

We do see three times better performance improvement under some workload
when increaing QP sendq size (sendq_size=64 vs. sendq_size=1024).

Thanks
Shirley Ma
IBM Linux Technology Center
15300 SW Koll Parkway