[openib-general] re RDS missing features

Or Gerlitz ogerlitz at voltaire.com
Tue May 2 01:23:33 PDT 2006

Ranjit Pandit wrote:
> On 5/1/06, Or Gerlitz <ogerlitz at voltaire.com> wrote:
>> Can you elaborate on each of the features, specifically the following
>> points are of interest to us:
>>
>> +1 so you running Oracle Loopback traffic over RDS sockets? if yes, what
>> the issue here?
>> the openib CMA supports listen/connect on loopback addresses (eg
>> 127.0.0.1 or IPoIB local address)
>
> Yes.
> There is no issue. It's just next in line for me to implement.

So what's remained to implement? if the app attempt to send data to
127.0.0.1 or a local IPoIB address then you are opening a connection to
this address over the CMA and in the passive "side" you just do
rdma_listen without binding to any device. In other words, no change on
the active side and a simplification of the passive side to support
this. Do i miss something here?

>> +2 by failover, are you referring to APM? that is failover between IB
>> pathes to/from the same HCA
>> over which the original connection/QP was established or you are talking
>> on failover between HCAs
>
> Failover within and across HCAs. APM does not work for failover across
> HCAs.

I see. Can you remind me ... where is the location of the reference gen1
   RDS code? does it support failover?

Also, for within the HCA failover, are you talking on APM or basically,
you apply the same failover scheme between to ports no matter if they
are on on the same HCA or on different HCAs?

Are you aware to something in the openib infrastructure which is missing
for the failover design of RDS? if you specify the design/requirements i
am sure people on this list can quickly say if something is missing...

Or.