[openib-general] SA MultiPathRecord v.PathRecord

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Thu May 4 10:07:26 PDT 2006

Moving discussion to list.

Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> MPR does allow for better selection of paths for APM though.

Beyond adding the Independence Selector, does MPR add anything else?

I assume that the Independence Selector works when paths between multiple GIDs
are requested.  Have you thought about how to expose this capability to a client
in such a way that they can make use of it?

To me, this feature seems most useful for all-to-all type connections, but would
require some sort of coordination between connecting end-points in order to have
fault independent connections between different nodes.  E.g. the connection from
A to B is independent from the connection between C and D.

Also, for large fabrics, even MPR seems limited by the GID counts being 8-bits.