[openib-general] Dump and load routes with opensm?

Greg Johnson gjohnson at lanl.gov
Thu May 4 11:41:25 PDT 2006

On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 01:48:29PM -0400, Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 13:26, Greg Johnson wrote:
> > >
> > > OpenSM calculates the unicast and multicast routes and populates the
> > > (unicast and multicast) forwarding tables.

> > > ibroute dumps the forwarding tables and ibtracert traces the path from a
> > > source to a destination so these are displaying how OpenSM has setup the
> > > fabric which is a function of the routing algorithm chosen and the
> > > physical topology (which may be dynamic).

> > > Unicast, multicast, or both ? Just to look at ? There is no way to load
> > > these into OpenSM.
> >
> > At this point we are only interested in unicast routes.  We would like
> > to be able to dump and load the forwarding tables.
>
> You can dump them (via ibroute) just not load them.

Right.  I imagine a tool that would dump the routes to a file that could
be reloaded later.  If I could edit the file, I could load my own
routes as well.

> > We have a single 288 port switch chassis for our cluster.  We would like to be able to
> > load routes for two reasons.  One is to be able to do testing with a
> > fixed set of routes.
>
> So the topology is fixed and no links ever fail ?

Yes, basically.  We want this for testing, not production (at this
point).  We can handle faults manually for now.  The internal topology
of the switch chassis is fixed.

> > The other is that we would like to program our own
> > routes into the switches.
>
> Once the fabric is up, what are the requirements ? Do you need SA
> queries (e.g. PathRecords) to work ?

I'm not sure if we need SA queries.  What are they good for?  Basically,
we want to be able to run MPI over the IB fabric.  We don't need
anything else.  I'm not sure if MVAPICH or OpenMPI use SA queries
internally.

Greg