[openib-general] ip over ib throughtput

Shirley Ma xma at us.ibm.com
Wed May 10 07:05:03 PDT 2006

"Talpey, Thomas" <Thomas.Talpey at netapp.com> wrote on 05/10/2006 03:53:04
AM:

> At 11:13 PM 5/9/2006, Shirley Ma wrote:
> >Have you tried to send payload smaller than 2044? Any difference?
>

> You mean MTU or ULP payload? The default NFS reads and writes are
> 32KB, and in the addressing mode used in these tests they were
> broken into 8 page-sized RDMA ops. So, there were 9 ops from the
> server, per NFS read. I used the default MTU so these were probably
> 19 messages on the wire. I don't expect much difference with smaller
> MTU, but smaller NFS ops would be noticeable.
>
> Tom.

I meant payload less than or equal to 2044, not IB MTU. IPoIB can only
send <=2044 payload per ib_send_post(). NFS/RDMA in this case send
32KB per ib_post_send(). It would be nice to know the performance
difference under same payload for IPoIB over UD and NFS/RDMA. Is that
possible?

Thanks
Shirley Ma
IBM Linux Technology Center