[openib-general] 2.6.17 and 2.6.18 merge plans

Shirley Ma xma at us.ibm.com
Thu May 11 09:02:19 PDT 2006

Roland,

By all the data I have collected so far I think it's not a good idea to
have while loop poll_cq() under IB hardware interrupt context. poll_cq()
is very expensive, and it increases other hardwares' interrupt latency. If
we move this out of hardware interrupt context, latency would be inceased
anyway.

I have done lots of tests on splitting CQ + work queue on recv/send +
remove tx_ring patches over mthca. Both SMP and UP unidirectional
throughput gets improved from 20% - 75% w o/i tuning. The latency has
increased between 4-10% on mthca. The interesting result is UP performance
is good. I used hyperthread CPU running all these tests, don't know
whether it's the reason.

If you think there are enough time to review these patches and have more
chance to be merged into 2.6.17/18, I will clean and submit these patches
ASAP, and test on ehca if none multi-threads ehca is available.

Thanks
Shirley Ma
IBM Linux Technology Center
15300 SW Koll Parkway