[openib-general] ib_mthca fails to load with old firmware

Scott Weitzenkamp (sweitzen) sweitzen at cisco.com
Wed May 17 08:40:50 PDT 2006

>     Ken> I'm running into a problem when I try to use the OFED RC4
>     Ken> release on some blade systems that have TopSpin HCA daughter
>     Ken> cards installed (actually Mellanox). I'm trying to figure out
>     Ken> how to update the firmware to the latest [
>     Ken> http://mellanox.com/support/firmware_table.php ] but it seems
>     Ken> I must know the PSID so I can grab the right firmware
>     Ken> image. Can anyone point me in the right direction here?
>
> For blade HCAs you should contact the HCA vendor for firmware updates.
>
> You could try passing the module option "fw_cmd_doorbell=0" to
> ib_mthca.  That may work around things.
>
>  - R.

What kind of blade systems are these?  For some blade systems, Cisco
provides HCA firmware that has been configured to provide better signal
integrity.

If you run /usr/local/ofed/sbin/tvflash -i, I can then tell which
firmware you need.

Scott Weitzenkamp
SQA and Release Manager
Server Virtualization Business Unit