[openib-general] Re: vapi versus openib imm_data

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Mon May 22 10:26:42 PDT 2006

Fabian Tillier wrote:
> If you swap the flag constants in little endian systems so they're
> always in network order - something the compiler can do for you - then
> you're checking for a bit, and it is safe to treat the value in
> network order always.  The flag constant will be different in little
> endian and big endian, but will represent the same bit.

Correct - but you must still provide the immediate data in network byte order.
I didn't say that the swapping had to be done at runtime, only that it is better
to do it on the openib side.  Putting it on the VAPI side is only going to cause
the the app to break later, and means that the app isn't obeying the
requirements of either interface.