[openib-general] ipoib use of multicast module on trunk causes kernel oops on 2.6.16

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Wed May 24 16:38:45 PDT 2006

Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
>>>The last trunk build causes kernel oops on 2.6.16 while restarting the driver.
>>>
>>>(the previous build -rev 7422- works fine)

Note that ipoib moved to ib_multicast in rev 7401.

>>>May 24 16:00:40 sw037 kernel: Modules linked in: ib_sa ib_uverbs ib_umad
>>
>>ib_mthca ib_mad ib_core

Can you please verify that ib_multicast was loaded prior to the crash?

>><ffffffff88045b95>{:ib_sa:ib_sa_mcmember_rec_callback+76}

I've been unable to reproduce this after 100 or so tests of doing an ifconfig
while unloading the modules.  I've tried with the SM both up and down, and with
ping running at the same time.

Reviewing the code, the multicast module should cancel all SA queries and wait
for them to complete before unloading.  (Even if it didn't perform the cancel,
it should still wait for any outstanding SA query to complete.)

> Right, reverting to 7401 solved the problem.

Are you able to duplicate the problem with the latest svn rev?