[openib-general] Static linking with libibverbs

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Wed Nov 1 11:07:56 PST 2006

On Nov 1, 2006, at 1:58 PM, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

> static linking actually can be made to work even with older library
> versions.
> See this HowTo (written on 02 of November, 2005).
> https://openib.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=HowToFAQ

Are you talking about linking with "-static" or just with
libibverbs.a?  I'm talking about linking with -static, which has more
requirements than just linking libibverbs.a and <your_driver.a>.  I
don't see mention of that in the thread that you cite on the HowToFAQ.

There are issues with deep linker voodoo that prevent -static from
working properly that Roland just fixed -- he had to change the order
of loading up the plugins so that you wouldn't get multiple versions
of system libraries loaded into the same process, such as one
statically linked in and one dynamically linked in that was pulled in
by an implicit linker dependency from the DSO that was dlopen()'ed.
This causes Bad Things to happen; lions, tigers, and bears.

Roland -- can you explain what you did?  I think I could explain it,
but better to come from the guy who did it so that the details will
be right.

--
Jeff Squyres
Server Virtualization Business Unit