[openib-general] question on QoS support

Sasha Khapyorsky sashak at voltaire.com
Wed Nov 1 15:31:40 PST 2006

On 17:42 Wed 01 Nov     , Makia Minich wrote:
> It just so happens that we've started looking at this here at ORNL as
> well.  I had a question about the options.  The manpage makes it seem
> that you can set these qos options (e.g. qos_high_limit) from the
> command line,

AFAIK there is option -Q which enables/disables QoS configuration, it
does nothing with particular qos_high_limit parameter. Configuration
parameters (qos_max_vls, qos_high_limit, qos_vlarb_high, qos_vlarb_low
and qos_sl2vl templates) should be specified in opensm.opts file (or
other OpenSM configuration file which does not exist yet).

> but I haven't been overly successful.  Is there an example
> of this being done?  Or is changing the /var/cache/osm/opensm.opts file
> the preferred method of changing the options?

Yes, you need to specify QoS parameters in opensm.opts file.

There is some readme file osm/doc/qos-config.txt which describes
details (I think man page have similar section too).

Ah, important note with OFED QoS is disabled by default in OpenSM, so -Q
option should be used, which for OFED means --qos. OpenSM from trunk
supports QoS configuration by default and -Q option disables this (and
means --no-qos), this can be confused, I know.

Sasha