[openib-general] OFED 1.1 Build Issue

Moni Levy monil at voltaire.com
Thu Nov 2 03:21:18 PST 2006

On 11/2/06, Ramachandra K <rkuchimanchi at silverstorm.com> wrote:
> Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> Quoting r. Moni Levy <monil at voltaire.com>:

> AFAIK Module.symvers is used in compile time only so the same logic
that is
> used for .h files (the devel package) seems reasonable for it.

> I agree. It would be nice however for all devel files to go under prefix/.

> That raises a basic doubt for me. What is the general convention about
> include
files in /lib/modules/... when installing new kernel modules ?
> Should the include
files always correspond to the kernel modules that are
> installed ?

I am thinking of a scenario where a user does not install the
> development package,
in which case their IB include files and the kernel
> Module.symvers are essentially stale.

I think that the basic assumption should be that there are no .h files
unless kernel-devel or kernel-sources type packages are installed.
User that intends to develop/compile should install the devel/source
package and in that case he will have the appropriate matching
snapshot of the .h files.

-- Moni

Later on, if they try to compile
> another kernel module that depends on the IB modules,
that module will
> refuse to load due to the difference in symbol versions in the
old
> Module.symvers and the currently loaded IB kernel modules.

Regards,
Ram