[openib-general] scaling issues, was: uDAPL cma: add support for address and route retries, call disconnect when recving dreq

Todd Rimmer todd.rimmer at qlogic.com
Thu Nov 2 16:11:30 PST 2006

Unfortunately
> > OFED 1.1 did not include ib_local_sa in the release.
> >

> This won't help you much.
> With 256 nodes all to all already gives you 65000 requests
> which is the same order of magnitude as the reported 130000.

We have SA caching working quite well with very large clusters.  Here
are some techniques which make it much more efficient:

1. A given node only cares about path records relevant to it.  So only
ask for path records where it is the source.
2. Use SA notices for GID in/out of service to trigger cache updates,
and only then for the specific GID which has changed
	- as background, refresh all cache entrys slowly and
infrequently just in case the notice was lost, however IBTA does allow
retries and Acks of notices so this will be infrequent
3. limit number of outstanding SA queries from a given node, this avoids
1 node blasting the SM
There a little more to it, but that should be the main points relevant
to this discussion.

Todd Rimmer