[openib-general] OFED 1.1 on Debian based system?

chris_youb at yahoo.ca chris_youb at yahoo.ca
Wed Nov 8 14:06:58 PST 2006

Trying to install OFED on a Debian system; Ubuntu 5.10 w/ Xen (2.6.16-xen).

1.  Runnig install from OFED-1.1/SOURCES/openib-1.1 gives the following error:

<snippet source=install.sh>
Running configure ...
ERROR: Failed to execute: env CONFIG_INFINIBAND=m CONFIG_INFINIBAND_USER_MAD=m CONFIG_INFINIBAND_USER_ACCESS=m CONFIG_INFINIBAND_ADDR_TRANS=y CONFIG_INFINIBAND_MTHCA=m CONFIG_INFINIBAND_MTHCA_DEBUG=y CONFIG_INFINIBAND_IPOIB=m CONFIG_INFINIBAND_IPOIB_DEBUG=y CONFIG_INFINIBAND_SDP=m CONFIG_INFINIBAND_SDP_DEBUG=y CONFIG_INFINIBAND_SRP=m ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/ofed --libdir=/usr/local/ofed/lib
See /tmp/openib_gen2/configure.log for more details

Please open an issue in the http://openib.org/bugzilla and attach /tmp/openib_gen2/debug_info.tgz
</snippet>

That .tgz contains a lot of fail messages like this:

<snippet source=debug_info.tgz>
(Stripping trailing CRs from patch.)
patching file drivers/infiniband/hw/ipath/Kconfig
Hunk #1 FAILED at 1.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file drivers/infiniband/hw/ipath/Kco
nfig.rej
(Stripping trailing CRs from patch.)
patching file drivers/infiniband/hw/ipath/Makefile
Hunk #1 FAILED at 1.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file drivers/infiniband/hw/ipath/Mak
efile.rej
</snippet>

2. I had some luck from here: OFED-1.1/SOURCES/openib-1.1/src/userspace/management

2a. ./configure use to complain as follows: "configure:20603: error: cannot compute sizeof (long), 77".  This was actually a library problem "./conftest: error while loading shared libraries: libibverbs.so.1: cannot open s
hared object file: No such file or directory"

2b. Explcitly setting "LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib" worked.  I could "configure" and "make" / "make install" opensm and it's libraries.

2c. Opensm compiles and runs, but of course I need the kernel modules.

<snippet source=opensm>
# opensm
OpenSM Rev:openib-2.0.5
Based on OpenIB svn Exported revision
Command Line Arguments:
 Log File: /var/log/osm.log
OpenSM Rev:openib-2.0.5 OpenIB svn Exported revision

ibwarn: [500] umad_init: can't read ABI version from /sys/class/infiniband_mad/abi_version (No such file or directory): is ib_umad module loaded?
<snippet>

3. I tried compiling the kernel modules by themselves: "make kernel", "make install_modules".  They all run and complete without errors yet "/lib/modules/2.6.16-xen/kernel/drivers/" has nothing and there isn't a *.ko to be found.

In order to at least run opensm I believe I need ib_core, ib_mthca, ib_mad, ib_umad and ib_uverbs.  Has anyone gotten further than me with running opensm on a Debian system and has information to share?

--
This message was sent on behalf of chris_youb at yahoo.ca at openSubscriber.com
http://www.opensubscriber.com/message/openib-general@openib.org/5189364.html