[openib-general] VHDL / C co-implementation

Voss sven-hendrik.voss at hhi.fraunhofer.de
Tue Nov 14 05:07:13 PST 2006

Hi all,

we're currently trying to implement an Infiniband IBx4 interface on a Xilinx
Virtex-II Pro FPGA. So first of all we checked out the SVN repository
openfabrics.org/svn but unfortunately it now seems unclear to us which
pieces of the stuff there is suitable for our goal:
What we'd like to do is run the transport layer (in C) on the FPGA's
integrated PowerPC while the link layer is already implemented in VHDL on
the FPGA.
To what extend can the C-source be used for an implementation on a PowerPC?
Is it necessary to run Linux on the PowerPC or is it possible to run the
link layer directly on the PowerPC without any operating system?
How can the data be accessed from the link layer, is it done via memory or a
dedicated bus?

Thanks in advance and many regards,	Sven