[openib-general] What could prevent a gen2 x86 client qp from doing RDMA_READ on a gen1 PowerPC client?

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Thu Nov 16 10:14:12 PST 2006

Hmm.
Maybe responder resources/initiator depth are set incorrectly at one of the sides?
These must match and affect only reads and atomics.

Quoting r. Bub Thomas <thomas.bub at thomson.net>:
Subject: Re: What could prevent a gen2 x86 client qp from doing RDMA_READ on a gen1 PowerPC client?

Endian-ness issues?
Yes that is the first thought.

But where?
Since my gen2 x86 rdma code can do an rdma read from  a gen1 and gen2
x86 server I think the only values in the ibv_send_wr that can be wrong
talking to a PowerPC server can be remote_addr and rkey right
I already swapped both but without success.

Are there other places in the ibv_send_wr or the underlying code that
might be endian-ness fooled?
Since I can do a VAPI_SEND (non RDMA) from the gen2 x86 client to the
gen1 PowerPC server I think the qp should be OK?

Is there something RDMA READ specific in the qp that still might not be
right after my CM connection from gen2 to gen1?
Don't forget the RDMA WRITE from the gen1 PowerPC server to the gen2 x86
client on the same qp works just before the RDMA READ from gen2 x86
client on the gen1 PowerPC server fails.

Still confusing.
Thomas

MST