[openib-general] DevCon "decision" on userspace

Sasha Khapyorsky sashak at voltaire.com
Thu Nov 16 16:27:40 PST 2006

On 23:19 Thu 16 Nov     , Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> Following Roland's lead on his userspace libraries (verbs and mthca), the DevCon decided that the userspace trunk will be moved to git with each component maintainer have a public tree with one or more branches to be pushed up to a git trunk. It is a requirement to import all the version history from svn and prune as appropriate. The timeframe for this is TBD. Any comments from maintainers and any consumers of the current userspace trunk ?

Hal, we are lucky - we already have converted to git
src/userspace/management tree on the new server:
git://staging.openfabrics.org/~sashak/management.git

As conversion tool I've used git-svnimport script distributed with git
(the recent version is better - it supports openib subproject imports -
'-P' option). There is another tool - git-svn, once it was not able to
import branches, but it was under active development last time, so now
this may be better.

With git-svnimport the command should be like:

  git_svnimport -v -r -m -F -S -C <git-dir> -A <authors-file> \
        -T gen2/trunk -b gen2/branches -t gen2/tags \
	-P src/userspace/management https://openib.org/svn

Some options (like -r, -v) can be omitted - see --help output.

Better (and much much faster) to run import against local SVN repository.

After import you may want to review resulted git tree, remove unrelated
tags and branches, run git-repack -a -d and finally to push imported
tree to public place.

Sasha