[openib-general] Infiniband on Debian etch RC1

Diego Guella diego.guella at sircomtech.com
Mon Nov 20 01:17:34 PST 2006

Roland,
as you can see from this
http://openib.org/pipermail/openib-general/2006-November/028622.html
I have tried in every manner to install OFED-1.1 using openSuSE 10.2 on this
PowerEdge 1950 server, but it seems it don't like it.
So, I read in the mailing list
(http://openib.org/pipermail/openib-general/2006-November/028640.html) that
I could use the Infiniband support in the kernel, and I installed Debian 4.0
RC1 on the PowerEdge 1950.

Yes, I am using the standard Debian kernel and packages, I used the network
install CD and done the installation.
The ib_uverbs module were not loaded in the kernel, so I added the line in
/etc/modules as you said.

Finally, this WORKS!! I have been able to perform a RDMA read from the 2850
to the 1950.
Thank you very much for your help, this is the first time I see Infiniband
working on this server!

But now, I have more questions...

I try to explain my Infiniband network. These are the computers I have:
1.Dell PowerEdge 1950 with Mellanox MHES28-XT (Debian 4.0 RC1)
2.Dell PowerEdge 2850 with Mellanox MHES28-XT (SuSE Professional 9.3,
OFED-1.0)
3.Dell Dimension 9100 with Mellanox MHES14 (SuSE Professional 9.3, OFED-1.0)

I'm been able to install OFED only on SuSE 9.3, so in the computers with
SuSE 9.3 I have also installed upper layer protocols, like IPoIB and SDP,
and a subnet manager.

Assume now I want to use only Debian in my computers.

1.Now I need a subnet manager. How can I install one on a Debian system?
2.How can I enable IPoIB and SDP ULP on Debian?

Thank you,
Diego