[openib-general] Infiniband on Debian etch RC1

Diego Guella diego.guella at sircomtech.com
Tue Nov 21 02:55:18 PST 2006

> > Assume now I want to use only Debian in my computers.
> >
> > 1.Now I need a subnet manager. How can I install one on a Debian system?
>
> You will have to build it from source if the OFED build doesn't work
> for you.  No one has packaged opensm for Debian.

Where should I get the sources for opensm? Should I extract from OFED-1.1
package?

> > 2.How can I enable IPoIB and SDP ULP on Debian?
>
> IPoIB is simple: "modprobe ib_ipoib".

I added a line with "ib_ipoib" to /etc/modules.

So now I think I have to configure 2 new devices (MHES28 has 2 ports) in
/etc/network/interfaces.

I added 2 devices named ib0 and ib1, and I configured them to have static IP
addresses, just like a normal ethernet device.

ifconfig shows they are up, one has the attribute "RUNNING" too, the other
not (I think this is because one has the cable plugged, the other not).

All this is done on server PE1950

Now, that cable goes to the other server, a PE2850, which has a SM running.

I try to ping that server, using the IP address of the infiniband IPoIB
interace, but I get "destination unreachable".

What's wrong?

> For SDP you will have to patch your kernel to include SDP, since it is
> not merged upstream yet.

Ok, SDP isn't much important for me now.

Thanks,
Diego