[openib-general] Infiniband on Debian etch RC1

Diego Guella diego.guella at sircomtech.com
Wed Nov 22 01:06:16 PST 2006

From: "Hal Rosenstock"
> Your configuration looks fine (SM is really on port 1). Not sure what is
> going wrong (why your SM port drops (is this cable pull or system reboot
> on remote side) or why IPoIB doesn't work for you.

I tried another Infiniband network configuration today.
Machines:
1.Dell Dimension 9100 (further referred as D9100) with MS Windwos XP and
WinIB_x86_1_3_0_1347, MHES14 card
2.PE1950
3.PE2850 (with SM)

Each of these have a cable that connects port1 to an Infiniband switch.

I powered up the machines in the order in the list. (the switch was powered
up before all the machines)

With this network configuration, in the opensm log no more appears 'SM port
down', so maybe, as you said, a system reboot of the other machine brings
the port down temporarily.

I have been able to ping D9100 from PE1950 and PE1950 from D9100, but the
PE2850 were unreachable from neither PE1950 or D9100, until I "ifdown ib1"
(the interface without cable connected).

I don't know why there is such behaviour, it happens when there are 2
network devices on the same subnet, I already had this problem with ethernet
devices but it was disappeared.. and now is back with infiniband.

Do somebody know why it bevahes like that?

Thanks for your help, finally I got IPoIB working :)
Diego