[openib-general] Initial Plan for userspace git trees

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Mon Nov 27 01:59:16 PST 2006

> > git://staging.openfabrics.org/~mst/perftest.git
> > git://staging.openfabrics.org/~mst/mstflint.git
> > git://staging.openfabrics.org/~mst/imgen.git
>
> Great. Only one comment:
>
> Probably it is better to prune irrelevant branches and tags before
> publishing. The reason is that if somebody cloned "dirty" tree and after
> this do git-pull against "clean" tree he will get errors like:
>
>   error: no such remote ref refs/heads/backport
>   error: no such remote ref refs/heads/backport-to-2.6.11
>   error: no such remote ref refs/heads/backport-to-2.6.9

Thanks Sasha, I did this for mstflint but not for others yet.
Some more comments:
- Don't create branch heads unless you really do development on them:
  tag is more or less the same thing. So if you already have a head:
  git tag <tag name> <branch name>
  git branch -D <branch name>
- I named tags for ofed releases vofed-1.1 and vofed-1.0, this is
  the same tag name that was used in ofed 1.1 git tree.
  All, if you own an ofed component, please use that too.
- Use git-describe to get symbolic version name. This finds the closest tag,
  so you'll get vofed-1.1 if that's what you checked out.
  Useful for e.g. opensm Makefile.

--
MST