[openib-general] IPv6 and IPoIB scalability issue

Todd Rimmer todd.rimmer at qlogic.com
Thu Nov 30 14:41:52 PST 2006

I think its worth discussing a number of alternatives.  I'm not sure
there is an ideal solution here.

Doesn't an SM based solution produce other complications?
- Such as the SM/SA must maintain an extremely large list of Multicast
Member records (potentially N^2).
- Host nodes will be joining N multicast groups and maintaining
membership in them (potentially further stressing the SA, etc)

Not to mention that the SM would then need to know about IPoIB GID
addressing conventions (which seems like a violation of network layers,
etc).

Todd Rimmer