[openib-general] Multi-port HCA

Bernard King-Smith wombat2 at us.ibm.com
Thu Oct 5 07:33:26 PDT 2006

Roland Dreier <rdreier at cisco.com> wrote on 10/05/2006 10:18:49 AM:

>     Bernard> I don't think it is the PCI-e bus because it can handle
>     Bernard> much more than 20 Gb/s.
>
> This isn't true.  Mellanox cards have PCI-e x8 interfaces, which has a
> theoretical limit of 16 Gb/sec in each direction, and a practical
> limit that is even lower due to packetization and other overhead.

Right, (looking at future hardware specs) :=}

So the question is what speedup is expected from a 2 port Mellanox PCI-e
adapter going from 1 to 2 ports.

>  - R.

Bernie King-Smith
IBM Corporation
Server Group
Cluster System Performance
wombat2 at us.ibm.com    (845)433-8483
Tie. 293-8483 or wombat2 on NOTES

"We are not responsible for the world we are born into, only for the world
we leave when we die.
So we have to accept what has gone before us and work to change the only
thing we can,
-- The Future." William Shatner