[openib-general] Tools for development

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Tue Oct 17 06:17:27 PDT 2006

Per the teleconference last week, I'd like to survey the developers
about the tools that should be installed on the new OFA server (is
there a plan to migrate there yet?).

As I understand it (please correct me if I get this wrong):

- The community has decided to stay with git for kernel level
development
   --> Was there a plan for any consolidation of the various git
repositories?)
- The community decided to stay with svn for user space level
development
- Some version of git and svn are installed on the new server, but
that's about it

So there still needs to be some discussion about what other tools to
install on the new server.

There was an aborted discussion about moving from bugzilla to trac on
the ewg list.  See the following (the web archives didn't thread them
totally properly):

   http://openib.org/pipermail/openfabrics-ewg/2006-October/001732.html
   http://openib.org/pipermail/openfabrics-ewg/2006-October/001739.html
   http://openib.org/pipermail/openfabrics-ewg/2006-October/001742.html

It seems like trac can integrate with both SVN and git and would also
provide us with integrated wiki capabilities.  I personally have no
problem with bugzilla, but I can attest to the Goodness of trac
because we use it extensively in OMPI.  See my post (above) for some
details, but here's a rollup of pros/cons of switching to trac on the
new server:

Pros:

+++ Integrate SVN and git commit messages with bug tracking (although
we might need separate trac instances -- one for SVN and one for git)
+++ Built-in wiki support -- one syntax for commit messages, the
general wiki, and tickets
+++ Track milestones and bugs/tickets together (i.e., help release
procedures)
+++ Trivially link between SVN/git commit messages, tickets, the
wiki, and syntax-colored commit diffs
+++ There is a tool for migrating Bugzilla db's to trac (although I
have not tried it myself): http://trac.edgewall.org/browser/trunk/
contrib/bugzilla2trac.py
+++ Same username/password used for both SVN and Trac

Cons:

--- A change from the existing system; people will need to learn
something new
--- Bugzilla ain't broke; we don't necessarily need to fix it
--- Will need to map between current Bugzilla fields (product,
component, status, resolution, url, hardware, os, version, priority,
severity, cc) and new trac fields (component, milestone, severity,
priority, type, version)

Neutral points:

=== Neither bugzilla nor trac are on the new server; we need to
choose something.

--
Jeff Squyres
Server Virtualization Business Unit