[openib-general] ethtool support for ipoib

Shirley Ma xma at us.ibm.com
Tue Oct 17 08:30:04 PDT 2006

"Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst at mellanox.co.il> wrote on 10/16/2006 11:12:03 PM:

> Quoting r. Shirley Ma <xma at us.ibm.com>:
> > /* can be added later once ipoib support sg
> > .get_sg = ethtool_op_get_sg,
> > .set_sg = ethtool_op_set_sg,
> > */
>
> The difficulty here is that sg currently requires checksum offloading in
> netdevice.
>
> --
> MST

I read the discussion in net-dev. Since IB packet has its own CRC (ICRC,
VCRC). Is it a good idea to enable checksum unnecessary in a pure IB
Fabrics for large MTU 64K. It requires some negotiation. Does your
prototype implementation for large MTU requires both ends agreement?
Practically it can be implemented, but I don't know what RFCs have defined.