[openib-general] ethtool support for ipoib

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Tue Oct 17 14:12:09 PDT 2006

    Shirley> Have we ever seen silent data corruption in CHECKSUM_HW?

Well, a quick web search finds stuff like
http://my.adsm.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB_14&file=index&action=viewtopic&topic=2362&0

But what I was really talking about was the risk of sending IP packets
without a checksum.  It may be fine within the IB fabric, because the
ICRC protects traffic end-to-end.  But if you have a gateway/router
between the IPoIB-connected-mode fabric and some other IP network,
then that router would have to generate the TCP checksums, which means
that router potentially becomes a source of silent corruption.

There are interesting surveys such as
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=347561
about this.

 - R.