[openib-general] problems using the ipoib ha package of RH4 U3

Or Gerlitz ogerlitz at voltaire.com
Tue Oct 24 01:36:23 PDT 2006

Hi Vlad,

I am trying to test the ipoib ha package on OFED 1.1 over RH4 U3 and does
not manage to get it working fine. I am running the following commands:

ifup ib0
ifup ib1
ipoib_ha_log="/var/log/ipoib_ha.log"
sleep 2
./ipoib_ha.pl -p ib0 -s ib1 --with-arping --with-multicast -v > ${ipoib_ha_log} 2>&1 &

and have ib0 working fine, then i cause the ib port associated with ib0 (port 1
of the hca) to get into initialized state but i don't see any failover happening.

After the port state is changed, the HA script prints the following

	Got CARRIER-ON event on ib0.
	Got CARRIER-ON event on ib1.
	Got CARRIER-ON event on ib1.

but it does seem to do any fail-over (ie does not configure ib1 with the address of ib0, etc)

Below is the full output of the ha script (/var/log/ipoib_ha.log) and my ifcfg config scripts.

I think there might was an issue with the version of the iproute package,
i see that my RH4 U3 system uses iproute-2.6.9-3, is this the issue?

Or.

Date:Tue Oct 24 13:25:02 2006
ib0:
======================================
NETMASK = 255.255.255.0
BOOTPROTO = static
IPADDR = 192.168.3.61
status =
ONBOOT = yes
HA = 0
DEVICE = ib0

Date:Tue Oct 24 13:25:02 2006
Bond:
======================================
NETMASK = 255.255.255.0
BOOTPROTO = static
IPADDR = 192.168.3.61
status =
ONBOOT = yes
HA = 0
DEVICE = ib0
Got CARRIER-ON event on ib0.
Got CARRIER-ON event on ib1.
Got CARRIER-ON event on ib1.

[root at excell02 ipoibtools]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ib0
# Static settings; all values provided by this file
DEVICE=ib0
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes
IPADDR=192.168.3.61
NETMASK=255.255.255.0

[root at excell02 ipoibtools]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ib1
# Static settings; all values provided by this file
DEVICE=ib1
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes
IPADDR=192.168.3.61