[openib-general] Kernel for IPoIB Question

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Tue Oct 24 12:24:12 PDT 2006

Quoting r. Parks Fields <parks at lanl.gov>:
> Subject: Kernel for  IPoIB Question
>

> Sincethe to[pic of kernel affecting the performance, which kernel is
> now giving the best performance. We are trying to choose the next
> kernel for our clusters and wanted to choose one that does well with
> IPoIB.  I know 2.6.16 was not doing well, even with 10G myrinet cards.
>
> What is recommended 2.6. 17,18,19,20 ???????
>
> thanks

I don't think I saw anyone report speed problems in IPoIB in 2.6.16
- and with TCP performance really depends on the setup/software, so why don't
you just install several kernels and try them all out?

I recall some people saw performance degradation on some network
topologies after Linux fixed the ack stretch violation in 2.6.11 or so.
If you go 2.6.18.1, you have the added bonus of upstream IPoIB code basically
identical to that of OFED 1.1.

--
MST