[openib-general] OFED 1.1 Build Issue

Ramachandra K rkuchimanchi at silverstorm.com
Tue Oct 31 04:34:10 PST 2006

Moni Shoua wrote:

>We already tried to go this way and found that a local Module.symvers is
>not always generated (but we might have missed something though).
>I suggest that you check that this alternative way works under all OSs
>compilation (SuSE and RedHat to be precise)...

I think Module.symvers generation for external modules was added sometime
around 2.6.16, so its not generated on the older kernels (for eg 2.6.9 kernels
on RHEL)

In this scenario, when there is no Module.symvers file, I guess the other
option is to use a single Kbuild file to build both modules,
as explained in section 7.3 of Documentation/kbuild/modules.txt.

But this may not be feasible always. Come to think of it, why does the
OFED installation procedure not update the kernel Module.symvers file
when it replaces the old kernel modules present in /lib/modules/
with the new ones ?

>BTW, Why not updating the kernel Module.symvers when kernel-ib-devel is
>installed? This will free the developer from copying it to his/hers
>private directory.

It might be a good idea to update the Module.symvers file as part of the
normal installation and not only kernel-ib-devel. Because if the kernel
modules are being replaced (or new modules are being added), shouldn't
the Module.symvers file also be updated ?

Regards,
Ram