[openib-general] problems to regiser memory as a reglar user on SLES9 SP3

Tziporet Koren tziporet at dev.mellanox.co.il
Mon Sep 4 07:35:00 PDT 2006

Christian Guggenberger wrote:
> Hi,
> On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 05:49:32PM +0300, Tziporet Koren wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>> In testing today we found that on SLES9 SP3 memory locking as a regular
>> user fails.
>>
> has any progress been made regarding this ?
>
> I'd like to ask if the SLES9 port is really mature yet, because I tried
> to go a step ahead and tried some trivial MPI code as root, but failed
> and got the involved node locked down hard.
> Testing was done on a single x86_64 SMP node (2 CPUs), with a Mellanox
> PCI-X HCA (23108, FW-3.5.0). Software Environment SLES9 SP3-latest,
> OFED-1.1-rc3 and mvapich2-0.9.5.
> Attached is a simple MPI code that causes the hard lock. Also attached
> are some Kernel BUGs gathered via serial console - they look garbled,
> unfortunately.
> Note, everything is fine, if I use recent vanilla kernels on that SLES9
> machine.
>
> cheers.
>  - Christian

Hi,
We test here SLES9 but with mvapich1 library 0.9.7 version from OFED.
We tried to run here the test you attached on mvapich1 but have not seen
this failure.
Can you try to reproduce with mvapich1 version?
If not please send us detailed instructions how to reproduce with
mvapich2 (where to take sources, compile, etc.)
BTW when searching the SLES9 sources for the: Kernel BUG at page_alloc:853

We couldn't find it.
Which kernel version are you using? We use here 2.6.5-7.244-smp.

Tziporet & Eli