[openib-general] why sdp connections cost so much memory

zhu shi song zhushisongzhu at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 11 20:46:47 PDT 2006

--- "Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst at mellanox.co.il> wrote:

> Quoting r. zhu shi song <zhushisongzhu at yahoo.com>:
> > Subject: Re: why sdp connections cost so much
> memory
> >
> > > You should not need this change with the scale
> patch
> > > I posted - after applying
> > > this, and setting the scale parameter to 0x1,
> each
> > > connection should use around
> > > 128K for RX. Please confirm.
> > Just setting the scale parameter to 0x1, memory
> > reduction is OK.  But there occurred one bug,
> > sometimes my kernel crashed.
>
> Shouldn't happen. Backtrace?
>
> > So I think PRE POST buf
> > size should be changed either.
> >   zhu
>
> Hmm. I don't really see how this would help.
> Is it true that changing just the RX size fixes the
> crashes for you?
> If yes I'd like to investigate.
>
> --
> MST

(1) when changing RX_SIZE=0x4 and TX_SIZE=0x4, I ran
my testbench for 30 times, there was no kernel crash.
I found sdp worked more stably and fast when I changed
RX and TX size.
(2) when RX_SIZE=0x40 and TX_SIZE=0x40, I could just
run my testbench for several times before kernel
crashed.
The result is very different for the two cases.

zhu