[openib-general] CMA issue: bind selects the same port after close

Sean Hefty sean.hefty at intel.com
Tue Sep 12 21:39:29 PDT 2006

>> I completely understand that the existing port management services are not
>> exported, but functionally, they support multiple port spaces, show up in
>> netstat, etc... Can someone please explain to me the reluctance to use these
>> services in favor of replicating them?

My reluctance to use the existing port spaces is that we're not guaranteed to
run TCP or IP.  I'm happy to map the address spaces, but that's not the same as
using those addresses when you're not using that protocol.

>inet_csk_get_port actually *is* exported, and while it might be hard for CMA to
>use it (needs struct sock*), maybe it is easy for SDP.

I did look at this, but the use of struck sock made it extremely difficult for
the CMA to use the existing calls.

>So, possibly we should just leave the CMA port allocation as is,
>and enhance SDP to use inet_csk_get_port.

That sounds reasonable.