[openib-general] patch trouble

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Sat Sep 16 10:56:28 PDT 2006

Quoting r. Bryan Green <bgreen at nas.nasa.gov>:
> Subject: patch trouble
>
> Hello,
> Many of the patches in subversion fail to have an effect when I apply them to a kernel,
> because they create headers in 'drivers/infiniband/include' which depend on being included
> before the like-named headers in the toplevel 'include'.  Is there a step I am missing to
> make the headers in 'drivers/infiniband/include' get chosen for inclusion first?

Note that backport patches are intended to be applied in an out-of-kernel
fashion - they are not changing the kernel at all.

So you build as an out-of-tree driver, and dd something like this to make
command line:

                LINUXINCLUDE='-I$(CWD)/include \
                -I$(CWD)/drivers/infiniband/include \
                -Iinclude \
                $$(if $$(KBUILD_SRC),-Iinclude2 -I$$(srctree)/include) \
                -include include/linux/autoconf.h \
                -include $(CWD)/include/linux/autoconf.h \
                ' \

You can find an example here
https://openib.org/svn/gen2/trunk/ofed/openib/scripts/Makefile

BTW, Mellanox is not actively supporting backport patches on the svn trunk.
If you want code that works on something other than 2.6.17,
I suggest you pull backports for the ofed branch (forked from
2.6.18-rc6) from ofed_1_1 tree by pulling
git://www.mellanox.co.il/~git/infiniband ofed_1_1
and looking in ofed_scripts directory.

--
MST