[openib-general] 2 SLES 10 backport directories

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Sat Sep 16 21:46:26 PDT 2006

Quoting r. Erez Zilber <erezz at voltaire.com>:
> Subject: 2 SLES 10 backport directories
>
> Michael,
>
> I saw that there are 2 SLES 10 backport directories in the svn:
>
> https://openib.org/svn/gen2/branches/backport/sles10/ - this one
> contains patches that we added for SLES 10
>
> https://openib.org/svn/gen2/branches/backport/2.6.16_sles10/ - this one
> was added later by you.
>
> Can we unite them?
>
> Here's my motivation: I want to be able to install SLES 10, replace its
> infiniband dir with infiniband from openib's svn, apply all SLES 10
> patches (from a single directory) and then it should work.
>
> This should help us in future OFED releases.

I'd like that too, but there's a difficulty here.

The rest of the backport patches make it possible to build
IB support out of kernel, without patching the kernel code itself.
This is an explicit requirement of some users, so we made an effort
to preserve this ability, and so far it works with the rest of the IB stack -
assuming that user has built infiniband support as a module or disabled it -
but that's what most people currenty have, anyway.

Unfortunately sles10 patches for iser that you mention violate this rule - they
patch the iscsi support that is already there as part of the kernel.
So unless this can be fixed somehow, we need the iscsi stuff separate, so that
1. we know to apply it in kernel source directory, not where we unpacked IB code
2. it can be applied conditionally when the user has enabled iser, so that
   others still have the ability not to touch their kernel

--
MST