[openib-general] patch trouble

Bryan Green bgreen at nas.nasa.gov
Mon Sep 18 11:41:41 PDT 2006

"Michael S. Tsirkin" writes:
> Quoting r. Bryan Green <bgreen at nas.nasa.gov>:
> > Subject: Re: patch trouble
> >
> > The problem with that tar file is that it contains far more than the
> > '.tgz' file.  It also contains some large source rpms.  The whole thing
> > is 47 Megs, of which only about 12 Megs is of interest to me.
>
> So, I guess you want to just remove the rest of the stuff?

Well, ideally, it would be possible to download a tarball that
contained the contents of
https://openfabrics.org/svn/gen2/branches/1.1/src/userspace/, minus the
mvapich subdirs, which could perhaps be a separate tgz as they are very
large on their own.

> > If there was a single downloadable openib.tgz file, I could
> > build the kernel modules as well as the userspace tools from that.
>
> We can try looking into that. So what do you want it to include?
> We currently only target RPM based distros.
> Are you willing to maintan the gentoo support?
> Maybe after each release candidate you can prepare the tarball
> for gentoo and upload it?

I'm willing the maintain the gentoo support for the gentoo science
overlay.  That isn't a problem.  I have already constructed gentoo-ified
versions of the OFED scripts found in '1.0/ofed/openib/scripts'.
I could potentially upload tarballs as you suggest.  For now, I'm going to
stick with subversion until my ebuilds are commited to the science
overlay, and there is potential interest in it from others.  We will have
to see.  If there are others in the gentoo community who would benefit
from it, I'd be happy to produce and upload the tarfiles as my schedule
permits, if openfabrics.org would host them.

> > As for the kernel modules, I will stick with whats in the kernel for now,
> > though I look forward to SDP being added to the main line, as I'm getting
> > some rather nice performance from it.
>
> Hmm. Which kernel do you run?
> If you have 2.6.18, it's easy to add just SDP as an out of kernel module.

Usually our cluster has a very up-to-date kernel.  Right now I'm being
forced to downgrade it temporarily to 2.6.12 in order to evaluate Lustre.
In the future, I plan to do as you suggest, and add SDP as an out of
kernel module.

-bryan